821.14 Herbicide Spills Incident Reporting
From Engineering Policy Guide
Definition: Proper procedures to follow in the event of a spill.
|Top Ten Spill Prevention Items|
1. The following herbicide spill reports shall be completed when spills of mixed or concentrated herbicides exceed 25 gallons. For spills of herbicides of near or greater than DNR Reportable Quantities complete the following:
- a. Hazardous Material Spill Incident Report,
- b. Investigator's Report and Site Survey (page 1), and
- c. Reportable Quantity Spills (page 2) forms.
2. For spills of herbicides of less than DNR Reportable Quantities complete the following:
- a. Hazardous Material Spill Incident Report
- b. Investigator's Report and Site Survey forms
DNR Reportable Quantities:
1. Any spill that goes into waterways (rivers, creeks, streams, etc.) shall be reported to DNR.
2. Any spill of petroleum based (diluent blue or other horticultural oils) mixed herbicides exceeding 50 gallons shall be reported to DNR.
3. Any spill of mixed or concentrate herbicide that exceeds 550 gallons shall be reported to DNR except for the following:
|Product||Active Ingredient||Reportable Quantity|
|2-4,D||2-4,D Low vol ester||25 gallons of product|
|2-4,D and 2-4,DP||2-4,D and 2-4,DP Acid||25 gallons of product|
|Karmex||Diuron||100 pounds of product|
|Tordon RTU or Pathway||Picloram and 2-4,D||50 gallons of product|
Method in the event of a spill:
1. Administer First Aid to anyone affected
2. Contain spill in the smallest area possible.
3. Contact the Maintenance Area Superintendent or Area Engineer.
4. Contact DNR (573-634-2436) if necessary according to the Reportable Quantities List above.
5. Follow the District Emergency Plan
6. Spill kits should be readily available and include:
- a. Telephones numbers for emergency assistance
- b. PPE to handle the spill
- c. Containment "snakes"
- d. Absorbent material
- e. Shovel and broom
- f. Fire extinguisher
- g. Other spill cleanup items as listed on the label
- h. Plastic container to hold the largest pesticide container being handled
Vehicle Pesticide Spill Response Kit
Meet or exceed OSHA 29 CFR 1910.119 and OSHA 29 CFR 1910.120 compliance.
- Diking Tubes 3 in. X 48 in. (socks), 2
- Pillows 16 in. X 9 in. X 2 in., 4
- Absorbent mats 16 in. X 20 in., 6
- Saranex-coated boot covers, 2 pr
- Nitrile gloves, 2
Materials in the kits provided from stock
- Disposal Bags, 2
- Instruction Sheet, 1
- Goggles, 1 pr
- Small bag of absorbent (litter), 1
- Wisk broom and small dust pan, 1 ea
A. Read the label
B. Report all and any spill to your immediate supervisor
C. Use forms located on following pages and in Form Section
Missouri Department of Natural Resources Regions